When it comes to tankless water heaters, the Chronomite SR 20L/120 stands out for its exceptional performance and efficiency.
In this comprehensive review, we will delve into the key features, technical specifications, installation process, performance, maintenance, troubleshooting, and how it compares to other models.
Why are tankless water heaters becoming so popular?
Before we dive into the details, let’s take a moment to understand why tankless water heaters have become increasingly popular in recent years.
Cost savings & energy efficiency
Traditional water heaters store and heat a large volume of water, which can lead to energy wastage. They contain storage tanks, which often suffer from standby heat loss, where energy is wasted as the water sits in the tank waiting to be used. However, with the tankless design of tankless water heaters like the Chronomite SR 20L/120, there is no standby heat loss, resulting in significant energy savings and lower utility bills.
Shorter wait times for hot water
Traditional water heaters often have long wait times for hot water. Tankless water heaters, on the other hand, provide hot water on demand.
No longer will you have to wait for the water to heat up or worry about running out of hot water during a shower. With a tankless water heater, you can enjoy a continuous supply of hot water, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable experience every time.
Ease of Installation
Traditional water heaters are much more complicated and costly to install, not to mention take up significant space in your house or business.
With a tankless water heater like the Chronomite SR 20L/120, its compact and sleek design makes it easy to install in any space in both residential and commercial spaces.
Key Specifications: Chronomite SR-20L/208
To better understand the capabilities and limitations of the Chronomite SR-20L/208, let’s take a closer look at its technical specifications:
- Power Source: Electric
- Voltage: 120V
- Wattage: 2.4 kW
- Amperage: 20A
- Maximum Temperature: 140°F
- Dimensions: 6¼” x 9 5/8” x 2 ¾”
- Weight: 5 lbs.
- Color: White (except for stainless steel housing)
- Pipe Fittings: Female ¼” NPT standard pipe thread
- Pressure Requirements: 25 PSI Minimum, 150 PSI Maximum (300 PSI tested) No pressure relief valve needed unless required by local codes.
- Activation GPM: 0.35
- 90°C Wire: 12 AWG
Top Benefits: Chronomite SR-20L/208
The Chronomite SR 20L/120 is packed with innovative features that make it an excellent choice for residential and commercial applications.
Compact & easy to install
When it comes to space-saving solutions, the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is a winner. Measuring just 6¼ inches in height, 9 5/8 inches in width, and 2 ¾ inches in depth, this water heater takes up minimal space.
Its lightweight design further simplifies the installation process, allowing for easy placement in various locations, including on walls, under sinks and inside cabinets
Installing the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is a straightforward process that can be completed in a number of simple steps. The unit comes with a comprehensive installation guide, enabling even DIY enthusiasts to set it up without professional assistance. This not only saves you time but also helps you avoid expensive installation fees.
Power & performance
With its electric power source and impressive wattage, this water heater can deliver hot water efficiently and reliably. The maximum temperature of 140°F ensures that you can enjoy unlimited hot water for various purposes, from bathing to cleaning.
When compared to conventional water heaters, the Chronomite SR 20L/120 can significantly reduce energy consumption and utility bills. Its efficient design ensures that no energy is wasted, making it an environmentally friendly choice.
Reduce risk of leaks
Equipped with a 3/8″ compression fitting, the SR 20L/120 ensures a secure and leak-free connection. This eliminates the risk of water damage and ensures that the water heater operates at its maximum efficiency.
Extra safety measures
Additionally, it features a pressure relief valve for added safety. This valve helps to regulate the water pressure within the unit, preventing any potential damage or accidents. Safety is always a top priority when it comes to water heaters, and the SR 20L/120 is designed with this in mind.
Aesthetics and build
The Chronomite SR 20L/120 boasts a sleek and modern design that blends seamlessly into any environment, making it a versatile choice for both new constructions and renovations.
Additionally, the build quality of the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is impressive. The unit is constructed with durable rugged cast aluminum alloy materials that ensure longevity and reliability (with optional stainless steel add-ons). With proper maintenance, you can expect the Chronomite SR 20L/120 to serve you for many years to come.
Pros and Cons of Chronomite SR 20L/120
Now that we have explored the various aspects of the Chronomite SR 20L/120, let’s delve into its pros and cons to provide a balanced view.
Advantages of Choosing Chronomite SR 20L/120
One of the main advantages of choosing the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is its exceptional performance. This unit delivers hot water at lightning speed, ensuring that you never have to wait for hot water again. Its energy efficiency is also a major advantage, as it helps reduce utility bills and minimize the environmental impact.
The compact design and easy installation process are also noteworthy advantages of the Chronomite SR 20L/120. Whether you have limited space or prefer a sleek-looking water heater, this unit ticks all the boxes.
While the Chronomite SR 20L/120 offers numerous advantages, it is important to consider any potential drawbacks. Some users have reported that the unit may produce a slight delay in hot water delivery during peak usage times. However, this is a minor issue that can be easily managed by adjusting the flow rate or temperature settings.
Additionally, although the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is compatible with most plumbing systems, it may require certain modifications or additional accessories for proper installation. It is recommended to consult with a professional to ensure seamless integration with your existing setup.
Installation Process of the Chronomite SR 20L 120
Installing the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is a straightforward process that can be completed by both DIY enthusiasts and professional plumbers. Before you begin, ensure you have the necessary tools:
Tools Required for Installation
- Electrical Junction Supply Box
- Electrical Supply Conduit
- Electrical Supply Wire
- Dual Outlet Angle Stop
- 3/8” Flex Hose or 3/8” O.D. Tubing (2)
- Carpenters Level
- Flat Head Screwdriver
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
Step-by-Step Installation Guide
- Starting the installation process, it is crucial to ensure safety by turning off the breaker and disconnecting the electrical supply to the area. Additionally, shut off the water supply to the fixture. Double-check that everything has been properly turned off before proceeding further.
- To access the electrical connections, unscrew and remove the front faceplate of the Chronomite unit. Keep the screws in a safe place. This will allow you to reach the electrical connections within the unit.
- Choose a suitable location for mounting the Chronomite unit. Use heavy-duty metal screws to securely mount it, ensuring that the existing electrical wires are pulled through the hole provided at the back of the heater unit. Each corner of the unit has a mounting bracket to assist in the installation process.
- Connect the electrical supply wires to the corresponding electrical connections on the Chronomite unit. Make sure to tighten all connections securely to ensure proper functioning.
- After connecting the electrical supply, close the front faceplate of the unit and securely screw it closed.
- Connect the Cold Water supply line from the water source to the bottom Cold/Hot inlet compression fitting opening on the Chronomite unit. It is important to note that Chronomite Tankless Water Heaters require only one cold water intake, eliminating the need for additional lines.
- Next, connect the Hot Water supply line from the top Cold/Hot inlet compression fitting opening on the Chronomite unit to the sink.
- Once the water supply lines are connected, reopen the water supply line to the unit and turn on the sink for 2 to 3 minutes. This will help purge any air from the lines. Keep in mind that the water will not run at the desired temperature until the breaker is turned back on in the next step.
- Screw the supplied Flow Control Valve onto your faucet or fixture head.
- After purging the air from the lines, turn on the breaker to supply power to the Chronomite unit. Now, you can enjoy the benefits of your new Chronomite Tankless Electric Water Heater at the desired temperature.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting
To ensure optimal performance and longevity of the Chronomite SR 20L/120, regular maintenance is essential. Follow these routine maintenance and operational tips:
- The Flow Switch is designed to activate when the flow rate reaches 0.35 gallons per minute (GPM) 1.3 LPM and deactivate at 0.30 GPM (GPM) 1.1 LPM.
- If you happen to increase the flow rate of the water beyond the capacity of the heater, you may notice a decrease in the water temperature. However, you can always mix cold water with the hot water, just like you would with a conventional system, by using a two-handle faucet. To ensure the best results, make sure to select the appropriate Flow Control based on your desired water temperature.
- Keep in mind that it is not recommended to operate the Chronomite SR 20L/120 water heater at a hot water flow rate of 0.30 GPM 1.3 LPM. This is the threshold at which the unit will deactivate.
- To prevent any potential issues, it is important to periodically inspect the supply lines, connections, and the heater itself for any signs of moisture, corrosion, or other preventable problems. It is recommended to perform these inspections at least four times a year.
- Before shutting off the water valves for servicing or winterization purposes, always remember to disconnect the power from the unit first. This precautionary step ensures safety and prevents any potential electrical hazards.
- Lastly, it is important to note that the Chronomite SR 20L/120 water heater is designed solely for heating water and does not provide any means of cooling. Therefore, it is essential to only connect the cold water feed to the inlet of the unit.
Common Issues and Solutions
In the event of any issues, the following common problems and solutions can help troubleshoot:
- If the water temperature fluctuates, check the water flow rate. Adjusting the flow can stabilize the temperature.
- If there is no hot water, ensure that the power supply is connected, and the temperature settings are adjusted correctly.
- If leakage occurs, inspect the water connections and tighten them as needed. Replace any faulty components if necessary.
Pricing and Purchasing
The price of the Chronomite SR 20L/120 may vary depending on the retailer. At the time of this posting, Plumbers Paradise is offering a special sale price of $161.88. Shop here now.
In conclusion, the Chronomite SR 20L/120 is a top-notch water heater that offers a wide range of advantages. Its exceptional performance, energy efficiency, and compact design make it a worthy investment for anyone seeking a reliable and efficient hot water solution.